The big day, maybe


So it is only a few hours away from the next scheduled launch of the space shuttle, weather permitting. Andy has to go out there to work as he is a part of a group called “red crew” which is there to deal with any issues that might arise after thye pad is closed out for launch.

I am probably going to drive out there to the center to watch. Normally if a launch occurs during a day or time when you are not scheduled to work, you are not supposed to go out there, but this time I think they realized that the people who make the launch happen should be able to go out and see it close up, even though it is on a Saturday. I am sure the traffic will be horrendous, so I will probably head out pretty soon. Andy has to leave for work in about an hour and he will call me on his cell phone to let me know what the traffic situation is looking like.

So far the weather is looking okay. Not great, but okay. It is pretty cloudy, but we may still be all right. We also have to be concerned with the weather at the contingency landing sites around the world as well. Zaragosa, Spain and Istres, France are two of the Trans-Atlantic Landing sites or TAL sites available in the event of an emergency. For more information about contingency landings and abort modes of the shuttle look at this website that gives an explanation.

Anyway, I am arming Andy with our small digital camera to take a video of thhe launch, and I will take the digital SLR with me to take some photos. More posting later, hopefully. Pray for a safe launch.

  1. #1 by battlerocker on July 1, 2006 - 2:15 pm

    A shuttle launch is something I have always wanted to see. Unfortunately, I have never been in Florida at the right time. Enjoy it!

  2. #2 by stacey on July 1, 2006 - 4:20 pm

    So sorry to hear it’s been delayed. I’ll be crossing my fingers extra hard for tomorrow’s launch!! 🙂

  3. #3 by HDW on July 1, 2006 - 4:41 pm

    Sorry about the delay!! Will be looking for it on Sunday.

%d bloggers like this: